From Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian (“to whine”), from Proto-Germanic *hwinisōną (“to whine”), from Proto-Germanic *hwīnaną (“to whizz, rush, swoosh, whine, hiss”), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱwey- (“to hiss, whistle, whisper”). Cognate with German winseln (“to whine, whimper”).
- (Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland) To complain, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.
- Argh! He has been whinging about it all night, even though he knows there's nothing we can do.
- (Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland) To whine.
- I know it won't help but sometimes it feels better to whinge about the things that annoy me.
- 1814, Sir Walter Scott, chapter 1, in Waverley or 'tis Sixty Years Since, Volume II:
- "'D' ye hear what's come ower ye now,' continued the virago, 'ye whingeing Whig carles? D'ye hear wha's coming to cow yer cracks?"
- 1992, Sky Phillips, Secret mission to Melbourne, November, 1941, page 45:
- Mostly, they were wingeing about the lousy cook and the same thing served too often
- 1993, Michael Fisher, The Nightmare Man, page 169:
- His wife will winge her bloody head off, but Nev will come good.
- 2002, Diana Wynne Jones, A Tale of Time City, page 41:
- "I'm miserable," Sam proclaimed, plodding behind with his shoelace flapping. "Nobody ever gives me butter-pies when I need them." / "Shut up," said Jonathan. "Stop wingeing."
- 2012, John Lyons, The Australian, 1st Dec issue, Action stations as sea giants stay vigilant on the frontline
- "You know the problem these days with young people? Get them to carry a 500-pound bomb and within 30 seconds they're making noises," he says, imitating a whingeing sound.
whinge (plural whinges)
- (Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland) A cry.
- Her whinges grew even shriller and more annoying the longer we had to listen to them.
- (Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland) A peevish complaint.
- I know you don't like it, but your whinges won't solve the problem!
- See also Thesaurus:complain
- A relevant page from Understanding cultures through their key words, Anna Wierzbicka.