wingnut (plural wingnuts)
- A deciduous tree of the genus Pterocarya native to Asia.
- Alternative form of
- (slang, derogatory) Someone with crazy or extreme political views (especially extreme conservative views).
- (slang, derogatory, North American itinerant and street populations) A mentally ill homeless person.
- (slang, derogatory) Someone perceived as odd, eccentric, and/or extreme.
- (slang, rural US) A member of the air force (in a town that hosts a USAF installation).
- (tree of the genus Pterocarya): pterocarya
- (odd or eccentric person): nut case, crank, weirdo
- (person of extreme political beliefs): extremist, radical; winger
nut with winglike projections — see wing nut
genus Pterocarya (botany)
odd, eccentric, and/or extreme person