Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (countable) Something made from wood.
- (uncountable) Wood product.
–Some woodwork and the plaster ceiling medallions have been duplicated to match the originals., Bill Cunniff, “A stroll through OLD IRVING PARK”, The Chicago Sun-Times:
- (uncountable) Working with wood.
- He does woodwork as a hobby.
–1906, Tasmania. Education Dept, The educational record, volume 1-6, page 14:
- The unthinking man assumes that if woodwork is to be taught, the best person to do it must be a oarpenter
- (only in plural, often in proper names) A workshop or factory devoted to making wood products.
–1911, North Carolina Dept. of Conservation and Development, Economic papers, number 23-28, page 7:
- The woodworks now find utilization for almost every scrap. Pine stumps are changing into turpentine bottles.
- A place of concealment or obscurity.
- Friends and relatives were coming out of the woodwork to celebrate his good fortune.
- So when he wants to, he can just kind of blend into the woodwork.
- (soccer) The frame of the goal, i.e. the goalpost or crossbar.
- That goal was so close, it went in off the woodwork.
2012 May 5, Phil McNulty, “Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool”, BBC Sport:
- Carroll thought he had equalised with his header against the bar with eight minutes left. Liverpool claimed the ball had cross the line and Chelsea were grateful for a miraculous intervention from Cech to turn his effort on to the woodwork.
- (working with wood): woodworking
handiwork of wood
working with wood
a woodworking shop or factory