From Middle English yarowe, yarwe, from Old English ġearwe, from Proto-Germanic *garwō (“yarrow, yarrow-like herbs”), perhaps ultimately cognate to Proto-Germanic *gelwaz (“yellow”). Cognate with Dutch gerw (“yarrow”) and German (Schaf-)garbe.
- Any of several pungent Eurasian and North American herbs, of the genus Achillea, used in traditional herbal medicine.
- Synonym: milfoil
- Alps yarrow, Achillea distans
- Chinese yarrow, Achillea alpina
- common yarrow, Achillea millefolium
- Egyptian yarrow, Achillea aegyptiaca
- fernleaf yarrow, Achillea filipendulina
- Ligurian yarrow, Achillea ligustica
- noble yarrow, Achillea nobilis
- Siberian yarrow, Achillea sibirica
yarrow (plural yarrows)