Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Having a strong odor that stings the nose, said especially of acidic or spicy substances.
- I accidentally dropped the bottle of ammonia and after few seconds, a very pungent stench could be detected.
- 1951 February, “Notes and News: Lynton & Barnstaple Remains”, in Railway Magazine, page 136:
- Pilton Yard, the Lynton & Barnstaple headquarters, has been taken over by a fur trading firm, and would-be trespassers to the old engine-shed are turned back by the pungent odour of heaps of carcases.
- 1991, Paul Chadwick, Concrete: American Christmas, Dark Horse Books:
- I can almost smell the fir scent… resinous, pungent.
- Having a strong taste that stings the tongue, said especially of hot (spicy) food, which has a strong and sharp or bitter taste.
- (figurative) Stinging; acerbic.
- The critic gave a pungent review.
- (botany) Having a sharp and stiff point.
having a strong odour
having a strong flavor
having a sharp and stiff point