Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Zeitgeist
- (Received Pronunciation, General American) IPA(key): /ˈtsaɪtˌɡaɪst/, /ˈzaɪtˌɡaɪst/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- The spirit of the age; the taste, outlook, and spirit characteristic of a period.
- 1958, Martin Luther King Jr., “Rosa Parks' Arrest”, in Stride Toward Freedom:
- She was anchored to that seat by the accumulated indignities of days gone by and the boundless aspirations of generations yet unborn. She was a victim of both the forces of history and the forces of destiny. She had been tracked down by the Zeitgeist—the spirit of the time.
- 1996, Michael Vanden Heuvel, Elmer Rice: A Research and Production Sourcebook, Greenwood Publishing Group, →ISBN:
- After quickly summarizing the zeitgeisten of the Greek, Elizabethan, and early modern periods and their effects on the theatre, Rice turns to the contemporary world.
- 2007 December 9, Scott Timberg, quoting Annalee Newitz, “The descent of a sci-fi guru”, in Los Angeles Times:
- [Robert] Heinlein’s gift was to catch the zeitgeist. “That’s what made him so successful, but it makes his work seem dated.”
- 2014 February 10, Anthony Faiola, “Swiss vote to limit foreign workers captures growing European fears about immigration”, in The Washington Post, archived from the original on 2014-02-11:
- The vote also stoked fears that Swiss citizens were reflecting the zeitgeist across Europe, where right-wing populists increasingly are seizing the spotlight with an anti-immigration political agenda.
- The German term, Zeitgeist, is commonly not pluralized. Geist (“ghost, spirit”) however has the plural Geister.
the spirit of the age
zeitgeist c (singular definite zeitgeisten, not used in plural form)
- 2013, Lars Holger Holm, Kenneth Maximilian Geneser, Gotisk, →ISBN, page 140:
- De bliver dermed til et fænomen i tiden, til tidsbilleder, som kan tydes og bruges i en afsøgning af zeitgeisten.
- They thus become a phenomenon of the time, time-images, that may be deciphered and used in an investigation of the zeitgeist.
- 2010, Henrik List, Sidste nat i kødbyen, Lindhardt og Ringhof, →ISBN:
- Og hvem ville så bryde sig om at være lyseslukker til zeitgeistens swingerfest? Hvem ville så sige nej tak til en plads i VIP-afdelingen til den store, subkulturelle love-in?
- And who would then like to be a party-pooper at the swinger's party of the zeitgeist? Who would then refuse a spot in the VIP section at the big, subcultural love-in?
Declension of zeitgeist
zeitgeist m (plural zeitgeists)