The US city is named after the English town (from which several prominent colonists had come), which itself is sometimes said to be named as a contraction of St Botolph's town or St Botolph's stone. However, this is uncertain.
- IPA(key): /ˈbɒstən/, /ˈbɔstən/, /ˈbɑstən/
- (Massachusetts, Rhode Island) IPA(key): [ˈbɒːstɪn]
Audio (US-New England) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒstən
- The capital and largest city in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, located in the northeastern United States.
- And here’s to good old Boston,
- The land of the bean and the cod,
- Where Lowells talk only to Cabots
- And Cabots talk only to God.
- A town in Lincolnshire, England.
- An eighteenth-century trick-taking card game for four players, with two packs of fifty-two cards each.
- (Massachusetts city): Beantown
Bȍston m (Cyrillic spelling Бо̏стон)