Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 Translingual
- 2 English
- 3 Danish
- 4 German
- 5 Italian
- 6 Swedish
- (genus): Plantae - kingdom; angiosperms, eudicots, core eudicots, asterids, euasterids I - clades; Lamiales - order; Lamiaceae - family; Nepetoideae - subfamily; Mentheae - tribe
- (genus): Melissa axillaris, Melissa bicornis, Melissa flava, Melissa officinalis, Melissa yunnanensis - species
- Melissa (plant) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Melissa (plant)
- Melissa on Wikispecies. Wikispecies
- Category:Melissa (plant) on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia Commons: Category:Melissa (plant)
- Melissa at USDA Plants database
- In Ireland it is sometimes used as a feminine form of the Gaelic male name Maoilíosa "servant of Jesus".
- (Greek mythology) Bee-nymph in Greek mythology.
- A female given name. Popular in the latter half of the 20th century.
- 1596 Edmund Spenser: The Faerie Queene. Book 6, Canto XII:
- And her owne handmayd, that Melissa hight
- Appointed to attend her dewly day and night
- 1841 Charles Dickens: The Old Curiosity Shop. Chapman and Hall 1841. page 123:
- Miss Melissa Wackles was the eldest daughter, Miss Sophy the next, and Miss Jane the youngest.
- 1959 Nicholas Blake: The Widow's Cruise. page 9:
- - - - by Mrs. Melissa Blaydon and Miss Ianthe Ambrose.
- "Well, they may be sisters," said Nigel. "Those elegant, classical Christian names suggest one father.
female given name