Hebrew שִׁמְשׁוֹן "of the sun". Small Sun or from Shemesh-On literally, Force of the Sun. Akin to Nachshon Nachash = Snake or made of copper (Nechoshet) (is this where "copper head" comes from?) the addition of on may be a diminutive form. On (force or fortitude) may be an empowering addition.
- Samson is also the name of a sixth century Welsh bishop, possibly rendered from some Celtic name.
- (biblical) An Israelite judge in the Old Testament who performed feats of strength against the Philistines but was betrayed by Delilah his mistress.
- (by extension) Any very strong man.
- A male given name.
- An English surname derived from the given name.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version) : Judges 16:6:
- And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee.