a friend in need is a friend indeed
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought): A true friend is one who helps you when you are in need.
- (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought): Someone who needs your help is likely to be more friendly towards you.
- (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought): A needy friend is an undesirable friend.
someone who helps is a real friend
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Gregory Y. Titelman, Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings, 1996, ISBN 0-679-44554-4, p. 107.