Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˈfɛɹ/
- (otherwise) (US) IPA(key): /əˈfɛə(ɹ)/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈfɛə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛə(ɹ)
affair (plural affairs)
- That which is done or is to be done; matter; concern; business of any kind, commercial, professional, or public; — often in the plural.
- a difficult affair to manage
- Any proceeding or action which it is wished to refer to or characterize vaguely.
- an affair of honor, i. e., a duel
- an affair of love, i. e., an intrigue.
- (military) An action or engagement not of sufficient magnitude to be called a battle.
- A material object (vaguely designated).
- He used a hook-shaped affair with a long handle to unlock the car.
1944, Miles Burton, The Three Corpse Trick, chapter 5:
- The dinghy was trailing astern at the end of its painter, and Merrion looked at it as he passed. He saw that it was a battered-looking affair of the prahm type, with a blunt snout, and like the parent ship, had recently been painted a vivid green.
- An adulterous relationship. (from affaire de cœur.)
that which is done or is to be done
any proceeding or action which it is wished to refer to or characterize vaguely
action or engagement not of sufficient magnitude to be called a battle
material object (vaguely designated)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.