Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
breakfast (plural breakfasts)
- The first meal of the day, usually eaten in the morning.
- You should put more protein in her breakfast so she will grow.
- 1591, Shakespeare, Henry VI, part 2, act 1:
- a sorry breakfast for my lord protector
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 1, The Cuckoo in the Nest:
- Peter, after the manner of man at the breakfast table, had allowed half his kedgeree to get cold and was sniggering over a letter. Sophia looked at him sharply. The only letter she had received was from her mother. Sophia's mother was not a humourist.
- (by extension) A meal consisting of food normally eaten in the morning, which may typically include eggs, sausages, toast, bacon, etc.
- We serve breakfast all day.
- A meal after fasting, or food in general.
- The wolves will get a breakfast by my death.
Terms derived from the noun "breakfast"
first meal of the day
- (intransitive) To eat the morning meal.
- He breakfasted on pizza and Coke.
- First, sir, I read, and then I breakfast.
- (transitive) To serve breakfast to.
1987, Anne McCaffrey, The Lady: A Tale of Ireland, page 269:
- By seven-thirty she had breakfasted them, provided each with a packed lunch and Thermoses of coffee and tea
to eat the morning meal