Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of brothers (fraternal twins).
- Related through a brother (fraternal nephew).
- In need of a brother or sister or friend.
- Like brothers (fraternal cousins).
- Brotherly, befitting or of a brother or brothers.
1907, Robert Chambers, chapter 1/2, The Younger Set:
- His sister, Mrs. Gerard, stood there in carriage gown and sables, radiant with surprise. “Phil ! You ! Exactly like you, Philip, to come strolling in from the antipodes—dear fellow !” recovering from the fraternal embrace and holding both lapels of his coat in her gloved hands.
- Friendly or brotherly (e.g. fraternal relations between socialist parties in different countries).
- Being or of a society of men linked in brotherly union (fraternal society).
- platonic (as fraternal love - brotherly love).
- (relating to a brother, with regard to gender): sororal
- (relating to a brother, with regard to heredity): paternal, maternal
- fraternise, fraternize
- fraternal nephew, fraternal niece
- fraternal twin
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
fraternal m, f (plural fraternales)