Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /məˈtəːnəl/
- (US) enPR: mə-tû(r)'nəl, IPA: /məˈtəɻnəl/, X-SAMPA: /m@"t3:(r)n@l/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)nəl
- Of or pertaining to a mother; having the characteristics of a mother, motherly.
- His weakness seemed to bring out her maternal instincts.
- Related through the mother, or her side of the family.
- Toby is my maternal uncle.
- (anatomy, medicine) Derived from the mother as opposed to the foetus during pregnancy.
- maternal aunt
- maternal cousin
- maternal death
- maternal filicide
- maternal grandfather
- maternal grandmother
- maternal uncle
- paternal – father
of or pertaining to a mother
related through the mother, or her side of the family
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
maternal m and f (plural maternales)