Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
gondola (plural gondolas)
- A small long, narrow boat with a high prow and stern, propelled with a single oar, especially in Venice.
- A hanging platform or car for transporting people or cargo.
- An enclosed car attached to a cable mechanically lifted up the side of a mountain; an enclosed ski lift; a cable car.
- The car or basket of a hot-air balloon, airship, zeppelin, etc.
- The hanging cart in which a glass-cleaning worker stands to clean exterior glass on tall buildings.
- That part of a transporter bridge that carries passengers, vehicles, along the length of the bridge span.
- (rail transport) A type of open railway car with low sides, used to carry heavy freight such as crushed rock or steel.
- A free-standing shelving unit in a supermarket.
gondola f (plural gondole)