Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From French litière, from lit (“bed”), from Latin lectus; confer Ancient Greek λέκτρον. Had the sense ‘bed’ in very early English, but then came to mean ‘portable couch’, ‘bedding’, ‘strewn rushes (for animals)’, ...
- (countable) A platform mounted on two shafts, or a more elaborate construction, designed to be carried by two (or more) people to transport one (in luxury models sometimes more) third person(s) or (occasionally in the elaborate version) a cargo, such as a religious idol.
- (countable) The offspring of a mammal born in one birth.
- (uncountable) Material used as bedding for animals.
- (uncountable) Collectively, items discarded on the ground.
- (uncountable) Absorbent material used in an animal's litter tray
- (uncountable) Layer of fallen leaves and similar organic matter in a forest floor.
- (platform designed to carry a person or a load): palanquin, sedan chair, stretcher, cacolet
- (items discarded on the ground): waste, rubbish, garbage (US), trash (US), junk
platform designed to carry a person or a load
animals born in one birth
bedding for animals
material for litter tray
layer of dead leaves and other organic matter
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (intransitive) To drop or throw trash without properly disposing of it (as discarding in public areas rather than trash receptacles).
- By tossing the bottle out the window, he was littering.
- (transitive) To give birth to, used of animals.
- (intransitive) To be supplied with litter as bedding; to sleep or make one's bed in litter.
- The inn where he and his horse littered.
- (intransitive) To produce a litter of young.
- A desert […] where the she-wolf still littered.
drop or throw trash without properly disposing of it
- to wrestle
- litteux (“wrestler”)