Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: paternóster
paternoster (plural paternosters)
- The Lord's prayer, especially in a Roman Catholic context.
- Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.
- (archaic) A rosary; a string of beads used in counting the prayers said.
- A slow, continuously moving lift or elevator consisting of a loop of open fronted cabins running the height of a building. The moving compartment is entered at one level and left when the desired level is reached. Found in some university libraries. Named after the string of prayer beads due to their similar arrangement.
- (archaic) A patent medicine. So named because the salesman would pray the Lord's prayer over it before selling it.
- (fishing, Australia) A tackle rig with a heavy sinker at the end of the line and one or more hooks on traces at right angles, spaced above the sinker.
the Lord's prayer
a rosary — see rosary