Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: re‧pub‧lic
republic (plural republics)
- A state where sovereignty rests with the people or their representatives, rather than with a monarch or emperor; a country with no monarchy.
- The United States is a republic; The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a constitutional monarchy.
- (archaic) A state, which may or may not be a monarchy, in which the executive and legislative branches of government are separate.
- Republicanism is the political principle of the separation of the executive power (the administration) from the legislative; despotism is that of the autonomous execution by the state of laws which it has itself decreed. ... Therefore, we can say: the smaller the personnel of the government (the smaller the number of rulers), the greater is their representation and the more nearly the constitution approaches to the possibility of republicanism; thus the constitution may be expected by gradual reform finally to raise itself to republicanism ... None of the ancient so-called "republics" knew this system, and they all finally and inevitably degenerated into despotism under the sovereignty of one, which is the most bearable of all forms of despotism. — Immanuel Kant, Perpetual Peace
- One of the subdivisions constituting Russia. See oblast.
- The Republic of Udmurtia is west of the Permian Oblast.
Derived terms 
a type of state
one of the kinds of parts constituting Russia
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.