Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- loyal, trustworthy, reliable, outstanding
- He's been a staunch supporter of mine through every election.
- dependable, persistent
- Without our staunch front line the enemy would have split the regiment.
loyal, trustworthy, reliable, outstanding
- (transitive) To stop the flow of (blood).
- (transitive) To stop, check, or deter an action.
- Somebody's got to staunch those press leaks!
to stop the flow of (blood)
to stop, check, or deter an action
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Usage notes 
The spelling staunch is more commonly used for the adjective. In contrast, stanch is more commonly used as the spelling of the verb.