Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (countable) A dried stalk of a cereal plant.
- (uncountable) Such dried stalks considered collectively.
- (countable) A drinking straw.
- a pale, yellowish beige colour, like that of a dried straw.
- (figuratively) Anything proverbially worthless; the least possible thing.
- XIX c., recorded by Francis James Child, Robin Hood and the Tanner
- 1857, Anthony Trollope, Barchester Towers:
- He also decided, which was more to his purpose, that Eleanor did not care a straw for him, and that very probably she did care a straw for his rival.
- 1881, Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque:
- To be deeply interested in the accidents of our existence, to enjoy keenly the mixed texture of human experience, rather leads a man to disregard precautions, and risk his neck against a straw.
a dried stalk of a cereal plant
dried stalks considered collectively
drinking straw — see drinking straw
Translations to be checked
straw (not comparable)
made of straw
of a pale, yellowish beige colour
Terms derived from the noun or adjective straw