Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈtɜː(ɹ).k(w)ɔɪz/, /ˈtɜː(ɹ).k(w)ɔɪs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈtɚ.kɔɪz/, IPA(key): /ˈtɚ.kwɔɪs/
turquoise (plural turquoises)
- A sky-blue, greenish-blue, or greenish-gray semi-precious gemstone.
2012 March 1, Lee A. Groat, “Gemstones”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 128:
- Although there are dozens of different types of gems, among the best known and most important are […] . (Common gem materials not addressed in this article include amber, amethyst, chalcedony, garnet, lazurite, malachite, opals, peridot, rhodonite, spinel, tourmaline, turquoise and zircon.)
- A pale greenish-blue colour, like that of the gemstone.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 1, The China Governess:
- The half-dozen pieces […] were painted white and carved with festoons of flowers, birds and cupids. To display them the walls had been tinted a vivid blue which had now faded, but the carpet, which had evidently been stored and recently relaid, retained its original turquoise.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Made of turquoise (the gemstone).
- Having a pale greenish-blue colour.
made of turquoise
having a pale greenish-blue colour
- (blues) blue; Alice blue, aqua, aquamarine, azure, baby blue, beryl, bice, bice blue, blue green, blue violet, blueberry, cadet blue, Cambridge blue, cerulean, cobalt blue, Copenhagen blue, cornflower, cornflower blue, cyan, duck-egg blue, eggshell blue, electric-blue, gentian blue, ice blue, lapis lazuli, lovat, mazarine, midnight blue, navy, Nile blue, Oxford blue, peacock blue, petrol blue, powder blue, Prussian blue, robin's-egg blue, royal blue, sapphire, saxe blue, slate blue, sky blue, teal, turquoise, ultramarine, Wedgwood blue, zaffre (Category: en:Blues)
turquoise f (plural turquoises)
- turquoise (gemstone)
turquoise m (plural turquoises)
- turquoise (colour)