Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈtɜː(ɹ).k(w)ɔɪz/, /ˈtɜː(ɹ).k(w)ɔɪs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈtɚ.kɔɪz/, IPA(key): /ˈtɚ.kwɔɪs/
turquoise (plural turquoises)
- A sky-blue, greenish-blue, or greenish-gray semi-precious gemstone.
2012 March 1, Lee A. Groat, “Gemstones”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 128:
- Although there are dozens of different types of gems, among the best known and most important are […] . (Common gem materials not addressed in this article include amber, amethyst, chalcedony, garnet, lazurite, malachite, opals, peridot, rhodonite, spinel, tourmaline, turquoise and zircon.)
- A pale greenish-blue colour, like that of the gemstone.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 1, The China Governess:
- The half-dozen pieces […] were painted white and carved with festoons of flowers, birds and cupids. To display them the walls had been tinted a vivid blue which had now faded, but the carpet, which had evidently been stored and recently relaid, retained its original turquoise.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Made of turquoise (the gemstone).
- Having a pale greenish-blue colour.
made of turquoise
having a pale greenish-blue colour
- (blues) blue; Alice blue, aqua, aquamarine, azure, baby blue, beryl, bice, bice blue, blue green, blue violet, blueberry, cadet blue, Cambridge blue, cerulean, cobalt blue, Copenhagen blue, cornflower, cornflower blue, cyan, Dodger blue, duck-egg blue, eggshell blue, electric-blue, gentian blue, ice blue, lapis lazuli, lovat, mazarine, midnight blue, navy, Nile blue, Oxford blue, peacock blue, petrol blue, powder blue, Prussian blue, robin's-egg blue, royal blue, sapphire, saxe blue, slate blue, sky blue, teal, turquoise, ultramarine, Wedgwood blue, zaffre (Category: en:Blues)
turquoise f (plural turquoises)
- turquoise (gemstone)
turquoise m (plural turquoises)
- turquoise (colour)