vane (plural vanes)
- (countable) A weather vane.
- Any of several usually relatively thin, rigid, flat, or sometimes curved surfaces radially mounted along an axis, as a blade in a turbine or a sail on a windmill, that is turned by or used to turn a fluid.
- (ornithology) The flattened, web-like part of a feather, consisting of a series of barbs on either side of the shaft.
- A sight on a sextant or compass.
- One of the metal guidance or stabilizing fins attached to the tail of a bomb or other missile.
vane f pl
- feminine plural of vano
- vocative masculine singular of vānus
- habit (an action done on a regular basis)
This Norwegian entry was created from the translations listed at habit. It may be less reliable than other entries, and may be missing parts of speech or additional senses. Please also see vane in the Norwegian Wiktionary. This notice will be removed when the entry is checked. (more information) May 2009