Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
zap (plural zaps)
- (colloquial) A sound made by a sudden release of electricity or some similar energy.
- (colloquial) An electrical shock.
- You might feel a little zap touching a metal doorknob when the air is dry.
- To make a zapping sound.
- To use a remote control to repeatedly change channels on a television.
- To strike (something or someone) with electricity or energy, as by shooting.
- They spent the whole movie zapping bad guys into oblivion.
- To damage (especially electronics) with electrostatic discharge.
- I think they zapped the processor.
- To heat (something) in a microwave oven.
- If it's not warm in the middle, zap it some more.
- To delete or discard (electronic media).
- They zapped a lot of files before realizing they had not backed up lately.
- To further energize or charge (magnetic material).
- They zapped my motor's magnets.
make a zapping sound
change channels repeatedly
damage with electrostatic discharge
heat in a microwave oven
delete (electronic media)
- Representing the sound or action of a zap.
- Then the computer went zap and I lost all my work.
representing the sound of a zap