|Chenopodium album||cane, walking stick|
|simp. and trad.
- (literary, historical) walking stick fashioned from the hardened stalk of a goosefoot plant (Chenopodium album)
- 遇一老人，碧眼童顏，手執藜杖。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- 遇一老人，碧眼童颜，手执藜杖。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, circa 14th century CE
- Yù yī lǎorén, bìyǎntóngyán, shǒu zhí lízhàng. [Pinyin]
- He came across an old man; the old man had a youthful countenance, and was carrying a walking stick fashioned from the hardened stalk of a goosefoot plant.
When the stalk of the goosefoot plant ages, it could be used by the elderly as a walking stick.