Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌæb.ɪˈsɪn.ɪ.ən/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌæb.ɪˈsɪn.i.ən/, /ˌæb.əˈsɪn.i.ən/, /ˌæb.əˈsɪn.jən/
- Rhymes: -ɪnjən
- Rhymes: -ɪniən
Abyssinian (not comparable)
- (dated, usually capitalized) Of or pertaining to Ethiopia or its inhabitants; Ethiopian. [First attested in the late 18th century.]
Terms derived from Abyssinian
of or pertaining to Abyssinia
Abyssinian (plural Abyssinians)
- A short-haired domestic cat descended from cats of ancient Egypt making it one of the oldest breeds in the world; Abyssinian cat. [First attested in the late 19th century.]
- A member of the Abyssinian Church.
- (dated) A native of Ethiopia. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
a native of Abyssinia
- The Amharic language.