Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: angst
Angst f (genitive Angst, plural Ängste)
- fear; fright; anxiety
- 2022, Rammstein, Angst:
- Alle haben Angst vorm schwarzen Mann
- All have fear of the black man / All are afraid of the black man
- A distinction may be made (or may formerly have been made) between Angst meaning “fear as an emotional condition” and Furcht meaning “fear as the reasonable reaction to a threat”.
- In contemporary German, the two words are widely treated as synonyms, with Angst being preferred over Furcht.
- The exception to this is that Furcht can also express a respectful fear, which Angst cannot. For example, Furcht vor dem Vater ("fear of one's father") may be a powerful, submissive respect, whereas Angst vor dem Vater implies fear of paternal misconduct.
Declension of Angst [feminine]
- “Angst” in Digitales Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache
- “Angst” in Uni Leipzig: Wortschatz-Lexikon
- “Angst” in Duden online
- Angst on the German Wikipedia.Wikipedia de