- Aussenseiter (Switzerland and Liechtenstein)
- outsider (who is not part of a particular group)
- loner, outsider (who is socially awkward)
- (sports) outsider, underdog (who has little chance of winning)
In a sports context, English “outsider” is sometimes used to mean a contestant who is not among the general favourites but is given a good chance of winning by some of the experts. German Außenseiter is not used in this sense; the correct word would be Geheimfavorit.
- Außenseiter in Duden online