Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: cantonese
Cantonese (not comparable)
- Relating to Canton.
- Relating to Cantonese people.
- Relating to Cantonese language.
- Relating to Cantonese food/cuisine.
relating to Canton
relating to the Cantonese people
relating to the Cantonese language
- (countable) An inhabitant of Canton; a person of Canton descent.
- The alliance was headed by a mustached Cantonese with a broad face, piercing eyes, and a great sympathy for the poor and downtrodden, a man who reveled in "action at all costs and whatever the risks." This was Sun Yat-sen, a visionary who lacked practical political skills but nonetheless became the hallowed "Father of the Republic" upon his death.
- (uncountable) A Sinitic language mainly spoken in the south-eastern part of Mainland China, Guangdong (Canton), Hong Kong, Macau, by the Chinese minorities in Southeast Asia and by many overseas Chinese worldwide.
- 2019, Li Huang; James Lambert, “Another Arrow for the Quiver: A New Methodology for Multilingual Researchers”, in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, DOI:10.1080/01434632.2019.1596115, page 10:
- As a mainland China national, the counter for our trial was fluent in English, Putonghua, and the Sichuan dialect, and was familiar with a number of other major Chinese languages such as Cantonese and Hakka.
- (uncountable) A dialect of the Cantonese language, spoken in Guangzhou (Canton), Hong Kong, Macau, and treated as the standard dialect of the Cantonese language.
- (language): Yue Chinese, Yue, Cantonese language, Cantonese dialect
- (dialect): Cantonese dialect, Cantonese language
- Cantonese, Cantonese dialect (the dialect of Cantonese language treated as standard)
- Hoisanese/Toisanese/Taishanese (the Cantonese subdialect spoken in the Greater Hoi San area, with subsubdialects)
- Hong Kong Cantonese (the dialect spoken in Hong Kong and Macau)
person from Canton
- Wiktionary's coverage of Cantonese terms
- Appendix:Cantonese Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Cantonese
- Guangzhouese, Guangzhounese