Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /ˌhɒŋˈkɒŋ/
- (Hong Kong) IPA(key): [hɔŋ˥ kʰɔŋ˥]
- Rhymes: -ɒŋ
- enPR: hǒngʹ kǒngʹ
Audio (Canada) (file)
- A city in southeastern China, located on an island east of the Pearl River delta in the South China Sea; formerly owned by the United Kingdom.
- 1850 December, “Foreign News”, in The Gentleman's Magazine, volume XXXIV, London: John Bowyer Nichols and Son, page 645:
A rebellion of more than ordinary importance is in progress in this country. At the departure of the last mail from Hong Kong numerous bands of robbers were plundering and burning throughout the provinces of Kangsi and Canton, and, having captured the city of Kintschan, had advanced to within 120 English miles of Canton.
- 2005, Clinton, Bill, My Life, volume II, New York: Vintage Books, →ISBN, OCLC 60594427, page 437:
- The Chinese had promised to let Hong Kong keep its much more democratic political system, but I had the clear impression that the details of their reunion were still being worked out, and that neither side was fully satisfied with the present state of affairs.
- 2022 May 11, “Reports: Hong Kong arrests Roman Catholic cardinal, 3 others”, in AP News, archived from the original on 12 May 2022:
- A 90-year-old Roman Catholic cardinal, a singer and at least two others have been arrested in Hong Kong on suspicion of colluding with foreign forces to endanger China’s national security, in an action widely condemned as a further sign of Beijing’s erosion of rights in the city.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:Hong Kong.
- An island in southeastern China, Hong Kong Island, the site of the city of the same name, lying off Guangdong province.
- A special administrative region of China, which includes the city and island of the same name as well as nearby islands and the Kowloon Peninsula.
- (historical) A colony of the United Kingdom, which previously administered the area of the present-day Chinese special administrative region.
coastal administrative region in south-east China
|Inflection of Hong Kong (Kotus type 5/risti, no gradation)|
|Possessive forms of Hong Kong (type risti)|
|1st person||Hong Kongini||Hong Kongimme|
|2nd person||Hong Kongisi||Hong Konginne|
|3rd person||Hong Konginsa|
Hong Kong f
Hȍng Kȍng m (Cyrillic spelling Хо̏нг Ко̏нг)