Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Appendix:Variations of "maka"
Maka (plural Makas)
- A surname.
- According to the 2010 United States Census, Maka is the 35395th most common surname in the United States, belonging to 636 individuals. Maka is most common among White (59.28%) and Asian/Pacific Islander (27.99%) individuals.
- Hanks, Patrick, editor (2003), “Maka”, in Dictionary of American Family Names, volume 2, New York City: Oxford University Press, →ISBN, page 495.
From maka (“eye; beloved one”), also a short form of compound names containing this word.
- a female given name from Hawaiian, less often given to men
- Mary Kawena Pukui - Samuel H. Elbert, Hawaiian Dictionary, University of Hawaii Press 1986
- Hawaii State Archives: Marriage records Maka occurs in 19th century marriage records as the only name (mononym) of 21 women and 2 men.
- A Maranao Dictionary, by Howard P. McKaughan and Batua A. Macaraya