Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Islam) Mecca (Islam's holy city)
- (poetic): tsuntsun Makà (peacock; literally "bird of Mecca")
From maka (“eye; beloved one”), also a short form of compound names containing this word.
- A female given name, less often given to men.
- Mary Kawena Pukui - Samuel H. Elbert, Hawaiian Dictionary, University of Hawaii Press 1986
- Hawaii State Archives: Marriage records Maka occurs in 19th century marriage records as the only name (mononym) of 21 women and 2 men.