- Māori (preferred usage in Māori text)
- Mäori, Maaori (alternative usage in Māori text when macrons are not available)
- IPA(key): /ˈmaʊɹi/
- (New Zealand, non-standard) IPA(key): /ˈmɑː(ɹ|ɾ)i/ invalid IPA characters (|), /ˈmoʊɾi/, /ˈmɔː(ɹ|ɾ)i/ invalid IPA characters (|), /ˈmɛ(ə|ː)ɹi/ invalid IPA characters (|)
- (US, dialectal, non-standard) IPA(key): /meɪˈ(j)ɔːɹi/
- Rhymes: -aʊri
- Of, from, or pertaining to the Maori.
of, from, or pertaining to the Māori
- The indigenous people of Aotearoa New Zealand.
- The language of these people.
indigenous people of Aotearoa New Zealand
language of the Māori
Maori (plural Maori or Maoris)
- A member of this people.
The plural form "Maoris" is sometimes used for members of the people, but "Maori" is preferred, as the term is invariant in Māori.
member of the people of New Zealand
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Ngata Dictionary (new URL 2005 - it now has macrons, but it is initially unable to recognise them in a Maori-English search)
- ngā aho whakamāori-ā-tuhi (English and Maori Word Translator) formerly from the Knowledge Engineering Laboratory of University of Otāgo, now based in Auckland
- He Kupu Rorohiko - Computer-related terms, by Te Taka Keegan - over 350 Maori-English words and phrases, followed by English-Maori
- Maori - English Dictionary: from Webster's Dictionary - the Rosetta Edition.
- ISO 639-1 code mi, ISO 639-3 code mri
- Ethnologue entry for Maori, mi
- eTexts at the NZ Electronic Text Centre
- A Dictionary of the Maori Language, by Herbert Williams (1957).
- Maori-Polynesian Comparative Dictionary, by Edward Tregear (1891).
- First Lessons in Maori, by Bishop William Williams (1930)