- IPA(key): /ˈmɪtarˌbaɪ̯tər/, [ˈmɪ.taʁˌbaɪ̯.tɐ], [-taɐ̯-], [-tɐ-] (usual)
- IPA(key): /ˈmɪtˌarbaɪ̯tər/, [ˈmɪtˌʔaʁ.baɪ̯.tɐ] (very formal or regional)
- employee, person who works, with others, in a particular business
- assistant, person who assists another person in a business
- staff member
- Dozenten und Mitarbeiter ― faculty and staff
Mitarbeiter is a semantic false friend of English coworker: although it is made up of elements that mean "co-" and "worker", Mitarbeiter means "employee", not quite "coworker" (which in German is Kollege). It can however literally mean co-worker or companion and is often used this way.
- Mitarbeiter in Duden online