Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: molly
- 1866 Elizabeth Gaskell: Wives and Daughters: Chapter 6:
- "My name's Molly. It is an old-fashioned name, and I was christened Mary. But Papa likes Molly."
- "That's right. Keep to the good old fashions, dear."
- "Well, I must say I think Mary is prettier than Molly, and quite as old a name, too," said Mrs Hamley.
- "I think it was," said Molly, lowering her voice, and dropping her eyes, "because mamma was Mary, and I was called Molly when she lived."
- a female given name.