Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: sardine
From the way protesters are tightly packed into public spaces, analogous to the way sardines are packed into cans.
This English term is a hot word. Its inclusion on Wiktionary is provisional.
Sardine (plural Sardines)
- A member of the Italian grassroots political movement organized to protest against the right-wing surge in the country and the political rhetoric of Matteo Salvini.
- 2019 December 13, Angela Giuffrida, “Sardines squeeze into Italian cities for biggest anti-Salvini protests yet”, in The Guardian:
- But they might need more than prayer to effectively compete with the Sardines, who in the last month have packed themselves tightly in ever-increasing numbers into piazzas in city after Italian city.
- 2020 January 22, “Salvini Remains at the Eye of Italy's Political Storm”, in The New York Times:
- The Sardines packed Bologna’s main square with tens of thousands of people on Sunday night and plan to close out the race with a rally in the beach club where Mr. Salvini spent most of the summer.
- 2020 February 6, “What the UK left can learn from Italy's new Sardines movement”, in New Statesman:
- Though the Sardines’ activism was not initiated by the PD, it provided something that’s been missing from the left political scene: vibrancy, belonging and an emotional narrative.
- 2020 February 11, Liam Thorp, Liverpool Echo:
- Now different organisations from Merseyside and further afield are planning to oppose the event with a peaceful protest that will take inspiration from the 'Sardines against Salvini' movement that has grown in italy.
- 2020 March 19, Erik Jones, “Italians are taking real steps to fight the coronavirus — but big political challenges are lurking”, in Washington Post:
- The nonpartisan “Sardines” movement organized mass protests against the reemergence of the far right in Italy and re-energized politics in the run up to the regional elections that were held in Emilia Romagna in January.
Sardine f (genitive Sardine, plural Sardinen)
Declension of Sardine
- Sardine in Duden online
- plural of