From Hebrew שאול (“asked for”).
- The first king of Israel in the Old Testament
- The original name of Apostle Paul in the New Testament.
- A male given name.
- 2000, Peter Abrahams, Crying Wolf, Ballantine Books (ISBN 9780345442611)
- “You got an uncle named Saul?” “I never mentioned him?” “What are you saying —you got some Jewish guy for an uncle?” “He's not Jewish. It's just a name they have back in the old country.”
original name of Paul
- Cantonese: 掃羅, 扫罗 (sou3 lo4), 掃祿, 扫禄 (sou3 luk6) (Catholic)
- Mandarin: 掃羅 (zh), 扫罗 (zh) (Sǎoluó), 掃祿, 扫禄 (Sǎolù) (Catholic)
- Min Nan: 掃羅, 扫罗 (Sò-lô, Sàu-lô)
- Czech: Saul m, Šaul m, Šavel m
- Danish: Saulus
- Dutch: Saulus, Saul
- Esperanto: Saŭlo
- Finnish: Saul
- French: Saul
- German: Saulus
- alternate form of sawol