Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From its shape.
T-shirt (plural T-shirts)
- A lightweight shirt without buttons, with short sleeves and no collar. Often made of cotton and frequently bears a picture or slogan.
2013 August 3, “Revenge of the nerds”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- Think of banking today and the image is of grey-suited men in towering skyscrapers. Its future, however, is being shaped in converted warehouses and funky offices in San Francisco, New York and London, where bright young things in jeans and T-shirts huddle around laptops, sipping lattes or munching on free food.
- Many bands make more money from T-shirt sales than from sale of tickets.
- been there, done that, bought the T-shirt/been there, done that, got the T-shirt
- concert T-shirt
- wet t-shirt competition/wet t-shirt contest
type of shirt