From Persian تاجیک (Tâjik, “non-Turk (of Central Asia)”) (akin to تازی (Tâzi), تازیک (Tâzik)), (ultimately) from Middle Persian tʾcyk' (Tāzīg, “Arab”), (ultimately) from Arabic طَيِّء (ṭayyiʾ, “name of an Arab clan”).
- (countable) A person from Tajikistan or of Tajik descent.
- (uncountable) The Persian dialect spoken in Tajikistan.
- Wiktionary's coverage of Tajik terms
- Appendix:Tajik Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Tajik
- Wikipedia article on the Tajiki-Persian language
Tajik (not comparable)
- Of, from, or pertaining to Tajikistan, the Tajik people (living in Tajikistan and Afghanistan) or the Tajiki dialect of Persian.
Refers to ethnicity, not nationality. Compare Tajikistani (“inhabitant of nation of Tajikistan; pertaining to Tajikistan”).