Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

Connel, you used a header you called "derived terms" Would it not be more appropriate to call them "See also" (?)

AJ --HiFlyer 00:48, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)

Looks like the right heading to me...Wiktionary:Entry_layout_explained#Derived_terms. Did I misspell something? --Connel MacKenzie 02:23, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)

Nope. Just a style difference. And I think it would be right either way,(the "See Also" was just 2 paragraphs below this one on your Wiktionary:Entry_layout_explained#Derived_terms example. I like yours more now that you brought that page to my attention. I'm here to learn, and you guys are great teachers. AJ --HiFlyer 17:11, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)
I'm new (and learning) also!  :-) Welcome. --Connel MacKenzie 21:12, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)
While derived terms may be correct, there is a tendency to use the slightly broader designation related terms. This allows terms which are not related but not directly derived (ancesters and cousins, as it were) to be added later without disruption. Also, given that related terms will be needed in general, it seems better to have one designation instead of two. In other words, is there great value added in pointing out that a set of strictly derived terms is derived, as opposed to related?
The usual convention is to use Related terms for terms which are etymologically related, and See also for other terms of interest (and for wikipedia and external links).
Granted, I can't think of any words related to continue but not derived from it. -dmh 21:57, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)
dmh, Which should it be? I'm always leaning towards providing more granular information. Any thesaurus 'bots' that divine meaning from related terms are probably going to be smart enough to also pull from derived terms, synonyms, ayntonyms and anything else mentioned in the Wiktionary:Entry layout explained#Additional headers, right? If that's too subtle a distinction, then please justfixit to accomodate them, and I'll try to follow along in the future. --Connel MacKenzie 22:18, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)
I tend to favor related everywhere, but not enough to go changing other people's work. I suspect a consensus will emerge sooner or later. In other words, I don't think there's anything here that needs fixing. -dmh 22:31, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)

RFV discussion: February–June 2017[edit]

Keep tidy.svg

The following information has failed Wiktionary's verification process (permalink).

Failure to be verified may either mean that this information is fabricated, or is merely beyond our resources to confirm. We have archived here the disputed information, the verification discussion, and any documentation gathered so far, pending further evidence.
Do not re-add this information to the article without also submitting proof that it meets Wiktionary's criteria for inclusion.

Video game noun #2. Not the option allowing a gamer to resume play after "game over", but "an option allowing a player to resume a saved game". Certainly that might be described as continuing a game, but is it called "a continue" (noun)? Equinox 16:19, 18 February 2017 (UTC)

From what I can tell, it is called a "save" or a "save point". RFV failed Kiwima (talk) 20:10, 3 June 2017 (UTC)