Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) to beat down with a pole fruit from a tree
- Synonym: bacchiare
- (by extension, transitive):
- to knock down, to bring down
- (figuratively, colloquial) to dishearten or depress
- 1612, Michelangelo Buonarroti the Younger, La Tancia, published 1615, Fourth Act, Seventh Scene, page 98:
- Amor par vno ſcherzo alle perſone ¶ Quando non vi s’è drento; e vn legato ¶ Da’ ſuo’ vincigli, vinto dalla pena, ¶ Abbacchiato ne va doue’ nel mena.
- Love seems like a joke to people when you're not caught in it; one – tied by Its strings and defeated by the sorrow – disheartened, goes where It leads him.
- (figuratively, colloquial) to undersell
Conjugation of abbacchiare