See also: Academicism
academicism (plural academicisms)
- (classical studies, sometimes capitalized) The doctrines of Plato's academy; specifically the skeptical doctrines of the later academy stating that nothing can be known; a tenet of the Academic philosophy; state of being Academic. [First attested in the early 17th century.]
- (art, literature) Traditional or orthodox formalism; conventionalism.
- Speculative thoughts and attitudes.
- A mannerism or mode peculiar to an academy.
A tenet of the Academic philosophy.
A mannerism or mode peculiar to an academy.
art: traditional or orthodox formalism.
- ^ Brown, Lesley, ed. The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. 5th. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003.