Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (dated, fandom slang) A person, particularly a fan of science fiction, involved in fanac or fan activity.
1947 January, Startling Stories, volume 14, number 3:
- If you even read StF you'll do. You don't have to be an actifan, just so you read StF.
1994, Joseph L. Sanders, Science Fiction Fandom, ISBN 9780313233807, page 94:
- Actifans end up feeling they're being forced to pay for other people's "good time" and realize the mere attendance of these other-media fans means they will have to pay (through increased membership fees) for things SF Worldcons once got for free.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:actifan.
- “actifan” in Jeff Prucher, editor, Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-19-530567-8, page 1.
- actifan n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project