Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (dated, fandom slang) A person, particularly a fan of science fiction, involved in fanac or fan activity.
1947 January, Startling Stories, volume 14, number 3:
- If you even read StF you'll do. You don't have to be an actifan, just so you read StF.
1955 Summer, Ted E. White, “The Vizigraph”, Planet Stories, volume 6, number 11, page 92:
- Really, I seem to have reversed things a little by being a letter-hack after becoming an actifan.
1994, Joseph L. Sanders, Science Fiction Fandom, ISBN 9780313233807, page 94:
- Actifans end up feeling they're being forced to pay for other people's "good time" and realize the mere attendance of these other-media fans means they will have to pay (through increased membership fees) for things SF Worldcons once got for free.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:actifan.
- Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, p. 1
- actifan n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project