Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
adulation (plural adulations)
- Flattery; fulsome praise.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 3, in The Celebrity:
- Now all this was very fine, but not at all in keeping with the Celebrity's character as I had come to conceive it. The idea that adulation ever cloyed on him was ludicrous in itself. In fact I thought the whole story fishy, and came very near to saying so.
- 1919, W. Somerset Maugham, The Moon and Sixpence, ch. 1,
- It is still possible to discuss his place in art, and the adulation of his admirers is perhaps no less capricious than the disparagement of his detractors; [...]
- See also Wikisaurus:flattery
Flattery; fulsome praise
adulation f (plural adulations)