- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ədˈvɛntɪv/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ədˈvɛntɪv/
- (biology) Of a plant that is not native, but was introduced by humans to a place and has since become naturalized.
adventive (plural adventives)
- A non-native plant that has become naturalized.
1988 April 15, James Krohe Jr., “Where Has All the Flora Gone?”, in Chicago Reader:
- Such interlopers are known as exotics, adventives, or aliens, all terms that may be considered synonymous with "nasty.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- feminine of