From Latin ālātus, from āla (“wing”).
alate (comparative more alate, superlative most alate)
- (entomology, botany) Having winglike extensions or parts; winged.
alate (plural alates)
- A winged, reproductive form of several social insects.
a- + late.
alate (not comparable)
- (archaic) recently; lately; of late.
- There hath been alate such tales spread abroad. — Latimer.
- second-person plural present indicative of alare
- second-person plural imperative of alare
- feminine plural of alato
- vocative masculine singular of ālātus