Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- UK: IPA(key): /ˈæ.maɪd/ or IPA(key): /ˈeɪ.maɪd/
- US: IPA(key): /ˈæ.maɪd/ or IPA(key): /ˈæ.mɪd/
Audio (UK) (file)
amide (plural amides)
- (organic chemistry) Any derivative of an oxoacid in which the hydroxyl group has been replaced with an amino or substituted amino group; especially such derivatives of a carboxylic acid, the carboxamides.
- (inorganic chemistry) Any ionic derivative of ammonia in which a hydrogen atom has been replaced with a metal cation.
organic chemistry: derivative of an oxoacid
ionic derivative of ammonia
amide m (plural amides)
- (organic chemistry) amide