Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Auslaut
auslaut (plural auslauts)
- (linguistics) The last sound of a word (word-final position) or syllable (syllable-final position).
- 1890, George Allison Hench, The Monsee Fragments: Newly Collated Text, with Notes and a Grammatical Treatise:
- In the inlaut before consonants and in the auslaut the long spirant is shortened to h: auh, bauhnenti, bisnuih, ih, queh, gaquihta etc. and in tehmot 17, 16 of Latin origin.
- 1928, J. P. Harrington, Vocabulary of the Kiowa Language:
- Examples also occur of the elision of the second element of the diphthong iH in word auslaut before ’H […]