Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (southern England) (file)
optional (not comparable)
- Not compulsory; left to personal choice; elective.
optional (plural optionals)
- Something that is not compulsory, especially part of an academic course.
- (programming, sometimes capitalized) In various programming languages, a kind of variable that is assigned a specific data type but may or may not hold an actual value.
- 2015, Richard M Reese, Learning Java Functional Programming, Packt Publishing Ltd, →ISBN, page 147:
- In functional languages, there is a data type called the option type, also called the maybe type. Its purpose is to encapsulate a value, which is returned from a function. […] In Java 8, the Optional class has been added to serve as an option type.
optional (strong nominative masculine singular optionaler, not comparable)
Positive forms of optional (uncomparable)
optional m (invariable)