Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Canada) IPA(key): /əˈθoɹəˌteɪtəv/
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˌθɔɹəˈteɪdɪv/, /ɔˌθɔɹəˈteɪdɪv/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ɔːˈθɒɹɪtətɪv/
CA synth (file)
- Arising or originating from a figure of authority
- The authoritative rules in this school come not from the headmaster but from the aged matron.
- Highly accurate or definitive; treated or worthy of treatment as a scholarly authority
- This book is the world's most authoritative guide to insect breeding habits.
- Having a commanding style.
- He instructed us in that booming, authoritative voice of his.
accurate or definitive
having a commanding style
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.