Jump to navigation Jump to search
- averdupois (obsolete)
- (historical) The official system of weights used in the UK between 1856 and 1963. It had been the customary system in London since 1300.
- (historical) The official system of weights used in the USA between 1866 and 1959.
- Weight; heaviness (commonly with humorous intent).
- 1915, Jack London, The Little Lady of the Big House:
- It seems humanly reasonable that the three of us can woman-handle a mere man of your elderly and insulting avoirdupois.
- 2012, Frank Lean, Boiling Point:
- The detective sergeant, who was called Munro, more than made up for Cullen's advance in the avoirdupois department. Lean to the point of emaciation, Munro was also a paragon of contemporary fashion. He was clad in a hideous brown suit ...