Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
metric (not comparable)
- of or relating to the metric system of measurement
- (music) of or relating to the meter of a piece of music.
- (mathematics, physics) of or relating to distance
relating to metric system
relating to musical meter
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
metric (plural metrics)
- A measure for something; a means of deriving a quantitative measurement or approximation for otherwise qualitative phenomena (especially used in engineering)
2011 April 10, Financial Times:
- As for the large number of official statements that Spain is safe, I think they are merely a metric of the complacency that has characterised the European crisis from the start.
2013 August 3, “Boundary problems”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- Economics is a messy discipline: too fluid to be a science, too rigorous to be an art. Perhaps it is fitting that economists’ most-used metric, gross domestic product (GDP), is a tangle too. GDP measures the total value of output in an economic territory. Its apparent simplicity explains why it is scrutinised down to tenths of a percentage point every month.
- What metric should be used for performance evaluation?
- What are the most important metrics to track for your business?
- It's the most important single metric that quantifies the predictive performance.
- How to measure marketing? Use these key metrics for measuring marketing effectiveness.
- There is a lack of standard metrics.
- (mathematics) A measurement of the "distance" between two points in some metric space: it is a real-valued function d(x,y) between points x and y satisfying the following properties: (1) "positive definiteness": and , (2) "symmetry": , and (3) "triangle inequality": .
2000, Lutz Habermann, Riemannian Metrics of Constant Mass and Moduli Spaces of Conformal Structures:
- As we shall see, these metrics are constructed from a Green function.
- Abbreviation of metric system.
- landscape metrics
- performance metric
- success metric
measure for something
notion in mathematics
- (transitive, aerospace, systems engineering) To measure or analyse statistical data concerning the quality or effectiveness of a process.
- We need to metric the status of software documentation.
- We need to metric the verification of requirements.
- We need to metric the system failures.
- The project manager is metricking the closure of the action items.
- Customer satisfaction was metricked by the marketing department.