See also: -metric
metric (not comparable)
- of or relating to the metric system of measurement
- (music) of or relating to the meter of a piece of music.
- (mathematics, physics) of or relating to distance
Terms derived from metric
relating to metric system
relating to musical meter
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- A measure for something; a means of deriving a quantitative measurement or approximation for otherwise qualitative phenomena (especially used in engineering)
2011 April 10, Financial Times:
- As for the large number of official statements that Spain is safe, I think they are merely a metric of the complacency that has characterised the European crisis from the start.
2013 August 3, “Boundary problems”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- Economics is a messy discipline: too fluid to be a science, too rigorous to be an art. Perhaps it is fitting that economists’ most-used metric, gross domestic product (GDP), is a tangle too. GDP measures the total value of output in an economic territory. Its apparent simplicity explains why it is scrutinised down to tenths of a percentage point every month.
What metric should be used for performance evaluation?
What are the most important metrics to track for your business?
It's the most important single metric that quantifies the predictive performance.
How to measure marketing? Use these key metrics for measuring marketing effectiveness.
There is a lack of standard metrics.
- (mathematics) A measurement of the "distance" between two points in some metric space: it is a real-valued function d(x,y) between points x and y satisfying the following properties: (1) "non-negativity": , (2) "identity of indiscernibles": , (2) "symmetry": , and (3) "triangle inequality": .
2000, Lutz Habermann, Riemannian Metrics of Constant Mass and Moduli Spaces of Conformal Structures:
- As we shall see, these metrics are constructed from a Green function.
- (mathematics) a metric tensor
- Abbreviation of metric system.
Terms derived from metric
measure for something
notion in mathematics
- (transitive, aerospace, systems engineering) To measure or analyse statistical data concerning the quality or effectiveness of a process.
We need to metric the status of software documentation.
We need to metric the verification of requirements.
We need to metric the system failures.
The project manager is metricking the closure of the action items.
Customer satisfaction was metricked by the marketing department.